Just what is the best type of mattress for those who sleep on their sides?
Some of the biggest problems in the world can come from not sleeping well. In fact, lack of sleep can affect your overall long term health and cause things such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and even heart disease.
What makes the best mattress sleeping design?
Getting a great night’s sleep depends on a lot of different factors, not the least of which is what you are sleeping on. A comfortable and well-maintained mattress has a lot to do with the quality of your sleep. The problem is that the comfort of your mattress depends on a lot of factors too, including what kind of a sleeper that you are. What’s comfortable for one person is not comfortable for everyone.
Finding the right mattress that gives you the kind of comfort and support that you need is quite subjective.
- You have to consider all of the aspects of how you sleep and what position you sleep in.
- If you’re a side sleeper or a back sleeper, different mattresses or different styles of the same mattress are going to be helpful for you.
- Likewise, if you’re a bit heavier it’s going to require a unique mattress for your purposes.
Narrow down that search for the right mattress by thinking a little more about you, your body, and your sleep habits.
What kind of sleeper are you? What position do you spend most of the night in? While some people sleep on back or stomach, most people are side sleepers. They need a mattress that is specific for that kind of sleep.
- Mattresses range from very firm to very soft. Depending on your body type, your preferences, and other things, the kind of mattress that you want will be unique and may change dramatically over your lifetime.
- Mattresses can range from a couple of hundred dollars to several thousand. While the slightly more expensive ones are typically better built, just because a mattress is astronomically costly doesn’t mean that it’s a better mattress. In some cases, they absolutely are not. Examine the mattress or ask questions to ensure that you get the one that is right for you.
Finding the Right Mattress for a Side Sleeper
For the side sleeper, and in fact for all sleepers, the proper spine alignment is imperative.
- Side sleepers have issues with pressure relief as well as support because of the way that the body curves when you sleep on your side.
- The right support for the hips and legs while having a good depth to allow the shoulders to sink in slightly is important.
- Also, leg support is a big thing for the side sleeper.
Science & Reasoning Behind the Best Positioning of Your Body, for Those who Sleep on their Side:
Allowing the shoulders so sink in slightly, while the hips and legs have a slightly firmer support, but still some measure of give.
- This will make for more restful sleep for the side sleeper, while ensuring they wake feeling rested and without all the aches and pains, that can from from a bad mattress.
Medium to medium soft is about the perfect mattress for a side sleeper and many will want foam, latex or inner spring to ensure give and support.
- If you you are someone who shifts from side to back to stomach on a frequent basis, you’ll also want to be sure that you allow for those changes by buying a slightly firmer mattress than you might get if you were strictly a side-sleeper.
For most people who are side sleepers, the memory foam mattress will give you the best support as well as the best give and cradle your body.
- Do take care to allow a day for off gassing if you have any respiratory issues.